Sunday, April 8, 2012

Phonetic alphabets

In our diagnostic test there was a phonetics part that got us all puzzled. None of us had seen those symbols before! I have found some information on a system called Visible Speech, which I think is the one we found on the test:
However, we all know the International Phonetic Alphabet (the most widely used). I came across this site long ago, when I was taking phonetics in university. Every speech sound in the English language is classified acoording to the IPA criteria and the articulation of each one is illustrated with wonderful flash animations. I really recommend it to everyone, even if you have never taken a phonetics course you'll be able to understand better how each sound is articulated. 
I'll post more interesting info on phonetics, it's one of my favorite aspects of English to learn and teach about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment